Super moist and tender lemon cake with the tangiest glaze ever, this eggless lemon drizzle cake is surely a winner!
FOR THE UPDATED VERSION OF THIS RECIPE GO HERE.
Remember I made a Lemon Loaf Cake to die for a little while back? That cake was gorgeous, probably the best one I’ve made but most of family members couldn’t enjoy it because it had egg in it! My vegetarian family members request me to make egg less cakes every now and then but I’ve always been shit scared of making one ever since I started making cakes with egg. I love the texture and moisture of egg cakes so much that I was dreading the thought of presenting a rather dry cake to people!
I had to come up with a solution, so I used my baking bible, GOOGLE and looked up for egg substitutes. Surprisingly there are many substitutes to egg that I didn’t know of, like vinegar, fruit purees, vegetable oil and the best one being what I used – Butter Milk! It was way easy to get my hands on (or shall I say make one instantly) and delivers perfect results every single time. I’ve read a lot of blogs who swear by their butter milk and never skip it. If you’re ever looking to substitute eggs or are just looking for that extra moist cake, I suggest you use butter milk. I was so glad because my cake was moist~ SUPER DUPER TROOPER MOIST! I was amazed by the result because all my egg less cakes turn out to be horribly dry, I literally have to pick out the soft areas but not in this one, it was soft all the way through. 🙂 I didn’t miss eggs at all..
This recipe yields one 6″ round cake.
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Baking Time: 25 minutes
For the Cake
- 1 cup Flour (128 gms approx.)
- 120 ml Buttermilk (learn how to make instant buttermilk below)
- 70 gms Butter
- 70-80 gms Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 Lemon (zest and 1 tsbp juice)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 50 ml milk
For the Lemon Glaze
- 4 tbsp Icing Sugar
- 1-2 tsp Lemon Juice
For Instant Buttermilk:
- 1 cup Hot Milk
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
For the cake:
Preheat oven at 200 degrees Celsius.
- Whisk butter until light and fluffy. When the butter turns pale yellow in color add in the sugar and whisk again.
- Add in the vanilla essence, lemon juice, lemon zest and mix. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add the flour mix to the butter mix little by little, keep alternating with buttermilk. When you run out of butter milk start adding milk to the flour mix. Mix sparingly, DO NOT WHISK.
- You should have a smooth batter by now, toss this batter into a greased baking tin with butter paper on bottom. Bake at 180 degree Celsius for about 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
For the Glaze:
- While the cake in cooling, make your glaze. In a bowl add 1 tsp lemon juice to icing sugar and mix, add another tsp if needed. You’re looking for a slightly thick pasty consistency. It shouldn’t be too runny.
- When the cake cools down, cover with glaze and a little lemon zest.
Take 1 tbsp lemon juice and pour it in a cup. Add in the hot milk until you fill the cup. Leave this for about 5 minutes, you’ll notice the milk curdling. If it doesn’t curdle, you can heat this mix until it does. Now sieve the mix to get smooth instant buttermilk! Use this wherever a recipe calls for buttermilk.